Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fake News

"Fake news" is a genre that is still very misunderstood. Although is can be misleading and interpreted the wrong way, it is a genre that is intended for people who will understand that. In the Daily Show they take news clips that are potentially serious and flip them to make them funny and more appealing to the audience. This type of news is not fully understood by everybody. Like in the show Crossfire they try and butcher John Stewart because they think that he has no idea what he is talking about. This genre is intended for a younger audience. Shows like Crossfire and CNN take the serious approach to broadcasting news, whereas John Stewart takes that same news cast and puts a twist on it that both conveys the message and gives the audience a laugh.
Shows like Crossfire bore the heck out of me. I am not a very government savvy person and I know i should be so I try to watch these shows once and awhile to keep my stuff up to date. I often find myself drifting off or doing something else and miss the whole point of the show. With shows like The Daily Show I can get a lot of the information that they so boringly convey on Crossfire but with a chuckle at the end.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I think Jon Stewarts point was that Crossfire and other mainstream news outlets don't take journalism seriously where they should. His criticism was that their so-called 'bi-partisan' representation is a farce.
Other than that I think your idea of what makes fake news pretty much lines up with my own. This would be a really weird comment if it weren't for a class.

gheene10 said...

I like that you brought up the fact that this genre is not necessarily understood by everyone. It shows that when they create their newscast it does have a specific audience that it is made for. I know I for one don't always understand everything that is said on The Daily Show, but I understand more of what they are trying to tell us than what CNN is trying to say most of the time.